- Stainless Steel and clad with bamboo.
- Reusable and long lasting.
- Ideal for past members of 27 Sqn Royal Air Force Regiment
- Support the UK Veterans charity of your choice by purchase.
RAF Regiment Anniversary 27 Sqn
£17.00 – £22.00
Available on back-order
No. 27 Squadron RAF Regiment was formed in 1951 at RAF Yatesbury, as a Light Anti-Aircraft Squadron.
Its first deployment was to Egypt, seeing its first action in November 1951 against Egyptian forces, when they accounted for four enemy.
The squadron remained in Egypt predominately as an Internal Security force until 1956 when it was redeployed to Cyprus.
The Squadron history is scant until 1977 when HRH The Queen (The Boss) approved a Squadron Standard in recognition of 25 years’ service.
In the 1980’s, the Squadron became a Rapier equipped AA Squadron based at RAF Leuchars, and would regularly rotate through Belize providing airfield defence.
In 1995, the squadron relocated to RAF Scampton as part of the RAuxAF Regiment.
On 1 April 1999, No 27 Squadron and 1st Royal Tank Regiment merged to form the Joint NBC Regiment (Jt NBC Regt) where 27 Sqn ran the Biological Detection Capability.
In 2005, following the addition of radiological weapons to its remit, the Jt NBC Regt changed to the Joint CBRN Regiment.
In 2008, still based at RAF Honington, the Squadron temporarily re-roled to full Field Sqn status and following an intensive period of training and kitting, deployed to Kandahar, Afghanistan in 2009 for a tour of duty in the Force Protection role.
On its return to UK the Sqn returned to its Joint NBC Regiment role.
In 2012 the Jt CBRN Regiment was disbanded with 27 Sqn continuing in the CBRN defence role as part of the new Defence CBRN Wing until the Squadron was disbanded in October 2021.